This practical, 4 session course will help you understand the brain of your gifted child and his or her emotional challenges better. It is suitable for parents of children of all ages and plenty of examples will be used for each age group.
It will equip you with strategies to help improve your child’s:
Giftedness is asynchronous development in which advanced cognitive abilities and heightened intensity combine to create inner experiences and awareness that are qualitatively different from the norm. This asynchrony increases with higher intellectual capacity. The uniqueness of the gifted renders them particularly vulnerable and requires modifications in parenting, teaching and counseling in order for them to develop optimally. (The Columbus group)
*Anyone working with gifted children and wanting to learn about giftedness is welcome to join the group
IN COLLABORATION WITH
Giftedness often comes with:
– High sensitivity both sensory and emotionally (prone to sensory and emotional overstimulation )
– Perfectionism (prone to anxiety and self-criticism)
– High levels of empathy (prone to depressive feelings)
– Increased levels of creativity (struggling to work ‘inside the box’)
– Advanced reasoning and thinking abilities (a brain that never stops)
– Advanced humor and language abilities (not speaking like peers do which can make them feel different)
– Intense curiosity and appetite for learning (easily bored and intellectually understimulated)
– Strong sense of justice (issues with friendships)
– Ability for sustained focus (obsessive over hobbies, struggles with transitioning)
Clinical Psychologist, Published author, Workshop and course facilitator and mother of 3 (one of them identified as gifted).
Having a gifted child comes with very real challenges that can make everyday live complex and exhausting for both the child and the parent. Having a clear understanding of how the child’s brain works and learning strategies that have been designed to support the gifted child’s emotional and mental health and wellbeing can make life happier and easier for the whole family.